Question: 1 regional metamorphism is caused by what change in a...
1. Regional metamorphism is caused by what change in a rock's environment
Increase in temperature and pressure
Decrease in temperature and pressure
Increase in temperature and decrease in pressure
Decrease in temperature and increase in pressure
2. True or false: A change in temperature without any change in pressure may be sufficient to produce metamorphism
3. Metamorphism cause which of the following changes in a rock's bulk chemistry?
Old elements leave the system and new elements enter the system
All of the old elements remain in the system
All of the old elements except those forming volatile compounds remain in the system
The metamorphic rock becomes depleted in iron and magnesium
4. With respect to minerals in the protolith, minerals in a metamorphic rock are generally
More dense and of smaller grain size
More dense and of larger grain size
Less dense and of larger grain size
Less dense and of smaller grain size
5. Of the following, which mineral is found exclusively in metamorphic rocks?
6. T/F: In all cases of metamorphism, the minerals in the metamorphic product are different from those in the protolith
7. Migmatites are metamorphic rocks which
Have crystallized from granitic magma
Have recrystallized in the solid state from granitic protoliths
Have undergone a small degree of melting in parts of the rock having granitic composition
Are mixtures of sedimentary and igneous rocks
8. Which of the following statements is true?
Deformation only takes place under conditons of high temperature and pressure
Deformation is common in rocks that have experienced contact metamorphism
Only metamorphic rocks which have platy or prismatic minerals may be deformed
Many metamorphic rocks are deformed but not all deformed rocks are metamorphic
9. The rock cycle illustrates the concept that
All three rock types are fundamentally the same
All three rock types are fundamentally different
Given time and the appropriate processes, any rock type may be regenerated as any other rock type
Igneous rocks are formed from magma
10. In order for a metamorphic rock to become foliated, which of the following is a necessary condition?
The protolith contains blocky or equant minerals
The protolith contains platy or prismatic minerals
Minerals in the protolith dissolve at points of contact and reprecipitate in lower pressure areas away from points of contact
The protolith contains garnets
11. Which of the following lists of metamorphic rock is arranged in increasing order of temperature?
Slate, gneiss, phyllite, schist
Slate, phyllite, gneiss, schist
Slate, phyllite, schist, gneiss
Shale, phyllite, schist, gneiss