Question: 13 for clastic rocks the bigger the grains the more...
13. For clastic rocks, the bigger the grains, the
Closer to the source
Farther from the source
14. Cementation occurs as a result of
Precipitation of solids from groundwater
Precipitation of solids from surface water
Percolation of solids through pore spaces
Addition of siliceous microfossils to the sediment
15. A black shale with fossil ferns was probably created in which environment?
Deep marine basin
16. Given that ions dissolved in surface water eventually end up in the sea, which of the following statements is likely true?
Seawater has become saltier over time
Seawater has become less salty over time
Seawater has not changed its composition over time
Seawater salinity is not controlled by input of dissolved ions but by evaporation
17. T/F: Evaporites form only in marine environments
18. The increase of atmospheric oxygen thought to have triggered precipitation of banded iron formations is attributable to
A giant meteorite impact about 2.5 billion years ago
An increase in global mafic magmatism about 2.5 billion years ago
The cumulative impact of photosynthetic organisms up til about 2.5 billion years ago
The increase in oceanic volume up til about 2.5 billion years ago
19. Chalk is a rock primarily composed of which mineral?
20. Coal is what category of sedimentary rock?
A combination of chemical and biogenic
21. Alluvial fans and river deltas have similar shapes but
Alluvial fans are not formed by flowing water
Alluvial fans have finer sediments
Alluvial fans have coarser sediments
Alluvial fans are only found on Mars
22. You find a rock which displays a surface with polygonal shapes associated with mudcracks. It is reasonable to assume that
The rock formed in the recent past
The rock formed on a beach
The rock formed in an environment that was subject to fluctuating wet and dry conditions
The rock formed in an environment that was subject to fluctuating hot and cold conditions