Question: 2 the mechanism for physical weathering responsible for the landforms...
2. The mechanism for physical weathering responsible for the landforms in places like Monument Valley is
Abrasion by water
Abrasion by wind
Abrasion by glaciers
6. Oxidation is a form of chemical weathering to which what compounds are most susceptible?
Most iron-bearing silicate minerals
All silicate minerals
7. Hydrolysis is best described as
The chemical reaction between water and CO2
The disassociation of the water molecule
Caused by the dipolar nature of the water molecule
The conversion of pyrite to limonite
8. Feldspar weathers chemically to produce which mineral?
Ions in solution
9. Many forms of physical weathering enhance the effects of chemical weathering because
Physical weathering weakens the rock
Physical weathering allows more plants to establish themselves on the rock
Physical weathering creates talus piles at the bases of cliffs
Physical weathering increases the surface area of a given mass of rock
10. An element which tends not to go into solution during chemical weathering and concentrates at the weathering site is
11. High temperature minerals in Bowen's reaction series are relatively
Most resistant to chemical weathering
Least resistant to chemical weathering
Moderately resistant to chemical weathering
Incapable of being chemically weathered
12. Which combination of temperature and moisture will favor the most chemical weathering?
Hot and wet
Hot and dry
Cold and wet
Cold and dry