Question: activity 62 my name part 2 find a partner for...
Activity 6.2: My Name Part 2
- Find a partner for pair programming.
- Open up your MyName project from the last activity, and let's add to it.
- Don't forget to include your partner's name in the comments at the top of the program.
- Let's calculate the length of the user's first and last names and output the result to the console
System.out.println("The length of your first name is " + first_name.length() + " letters");
- Now add a similar System.out.println statement to display the length of the user's last name AND full name (remember the full_name variable)
- Next, let's return the user's initial's to them.
- Let's declare a new String variable called initials that you place at the top of your program with the other variable declarations.
- Next, we are going to use the charAt() function to extract the initials from the user's first and last names.
- A person's initials are composed of the first letters of their first and last names.
- Therefore, we need the letters at position 0 in the first_name and last_name variables.
initials = "" + first_name.charAt(???) + ?????????;
- Note that "" is called the empty String.
- Next, print the results to the console to display for the user.
System.out.println("Your initials are: " + initials);
- Let's compare their first and last names to see if they are the same using the equals method.
- Add a statement like the following after the last System.out.println:
System.out.println("Your first and last name are the same: " + first_name.equals(last_name));
- Finally, let's print out the full name in all upper case and all lower case. Add two System.out.println statements:
System.out.println("Your name in all capitals is: " + full_name.toUpperCase());
//Now add a similar statement to print out the name in all lower case characters
- When you are finished, the output of your program should look like below.
- However, look closely and you will see a mistake in my output below.
- Please correct the mistake before you turn it in (there are a couple of different approaches you can take to this problem).
- Submit your MyName.java program to Canvas.
- Remember that both partners need to submit for full credit.
The output of your program should look like this (except user input will vary):
Hi! I want to learn your name.
Please enter your first name:
Please enter your last name:
Nice to meet you
The length of your first name is 8 letters
The length of your last name is 7 letters
The length of your full name is 16 letters
Your initials are:
Your first name and last name are the same: false
Your name in all capitals is:
Your name in all lower case letters is: