Question: case report 1 case 4 genzyme and relational investors science...
Case Report 1 Case 4: Genzyme and Relational Investors: Science and Business Collide?
The goal of this case report is to explore Case 4, Genzyme and Relational Investors: Science and Business Collide? The case report requires you to complete a report in word and submit it to blackboard via turn-it-in. Your grade will depend on both quality and quantity. Each question (Summary, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5) is worth 8.333 points each (total of 50 points).
For the case report, first summarize the case in your own words (about a paragraph) and second, answer the case questions.
Each of the answers should be complete and at least a few sentences long. Make sure to reference the case in your answers when necessary. If you quote external sources, provide a reference. Some of the questions ask for your opinion on a topic; make sure to provide sufficient evidence to help explain your answer.
Please be sure to complete the case report yourself and in your own words. Label your answers as Summary, 1, 2, 3, etc.
Part 1: Case Report Summary
Part 2: Case Report Questions
1. What is the business model for Genzyme? What does Termeer want for his company going forward?
2. What is the business model for Relational Investors?
3. Should Termeer fight Whitworth, or can he manage him by agreeing to some of Whitworth’s demands but avoid giving into demands that might compromise the core mission of Genzyme?
4. Why is Whitworth arguing that Genzyme needs to implement a share repurchase program? What problem would a share repurchase solve?
5. Do you think there is any way that Termeer could have avoided this conflict with Whitworth, or was it unavoidable?