Question: due to erratic sales of its sole producta highcapacity battery...
Due to erratic sales of its sole product—a high-capacity battery for laptop computers—PEM, Inc., has been experiencing difficulty for some time. The company’s contribution format income statement for the most recent month is given below:
|Sales (19,500 units × $30 per unit)||$||585,000|
|Net operating loss||$||(4,500)|
1. Compute the company’s CM ratio and its break-even point in both unit sales and dollar sales.
2. The president believes that a $16,000 increase in the monthly advertising budget, combined with an intensified effort by the sales staff, will result in an $80,000 increase in monthly sales. If the president is right, what will be the effect on the company’s monthly net operating income or loss? (Use the incremental approach in preparing your answer.)
3. Refer to the original data. The sales manager is convinced that a 10% reduction in the selling price, combined with an increase of $60,000 in the monthly advertising budget, will double unit sales. What will the new contribution format income statement look like if these changes are adopted?
4. Refer to the original data. The Marketing Department thinks that a fancy new package for the laptop computer battery would help sales. The new package would increase packaging costs by 75 cents per unit. Assuming no other changes, how many units would have to be sold each month to earn a profit of $9,750? (Do not round intermediate calculations.)
5. Refer to the original data. By automating, the company could reduce variable expenses by $3 per unit. However, fixed expenses would increase by $72,000 each month.
a. Compute the new CM ratio and the new break-even point in both
unit sales and dollar sales. (Use the CM ratio to calculate
your break-even point in dollars.)
b. Assume that the company expects to sell 26,000 units next month. Prepare two contribution format income statements, one assuming that operations are not automated and one assuming that they are.
c. Would you recommend that the company automate its operations?
* Question 5 is the focus here with new information