Question: exchange rates the chart below shows the exchange rate between...
The chart below shows the exchange rate between the U.S. dollar and the Mexican peso in 2015 and 2016. In these questions we’ll focus on changes in 2015. Note that the chart shows the exchange rate in terms of pesos per dollar.
Suppose a meal at a restaurant in Mexico City cost 90 pesos in 2015. Read approximate figures from the chart for the exchange rate in January 2015 and January 2016, and use those figures to answer the following questions.
1. Based on the exchange rates in January 2015 and January 2016, how many U.S. dollars would it take to buy the restaurant meal in Mexico? Show your work.
- Dollar price of the restaurant meal in January 2015: ____________________
- Dollar price of the restaurant meal in January 2016: ____________________
2. Based on the data in the chart, would you say that the dollar grew stronger (appreciated) relative to the Mexican peso in 2015, or did it become weaker (depreciate)? Check one answer.
othe dollar grew stronger (appreciated) relative to the Mexican peso in 2015
othe dollar became weaker (depreciated) in 2015
3. Suppose you’re a Wisconsin farmer who sells corn to consumers in Mexico. How would the change in the exchange rate in 2015 probably affect your sales of corn to Mexico? Check one of the following, and then briefly explain your answer:
oas a result of the change in the exchange rate, a U.S. farmer would sell morecorn in Mexico
o as a result of the change in the exchange rate, a U.S. farmer would sell less corn in Mexico