Question: part a multiple choice 10 marks circle the alternative...
Part A - Multiple Choice 10 Marks Circle the alternative A, B, C or D that best answers the question (1 Mark each)
1. A child being pushed on a swing goes higher with each push.
This is an example of
A. A progressive wave
B. A standing wave
2. Which one of the following properties of a wave can change when it is reflected?
3. Which of the following security mirrors will provide the best visual coverage in a shop?
A. It is a convex mirror
B. It is a plane mirror
C. It is a concave mirror
D. It can be all the above
4. A cup of coffee, originally at 80ºC sits on a bench in a room that is at 20ºC. Which of the following most accurately describes what happens?
A. The temperature of the coffee will cool to slightly below the 20ºC
B. The temperature of the coffee will cool to exactly 20ºC
C. The final temperature of the coffee depends on how well insulated the cup is
D. The temperature of the coffee will cool to slightly above 20ºC
5. Boiling water results in steam formation at the same temperature.
Which one of the following has changed for the water molecules in the steam?
A. The average kinetic energy of the particles
B. The average potential energy of the particles
C. The particles have less energy and move slower
D. The total number of particles
6. A plastic ruler when rubbed on your jeans becomes negatively charged. What is the net charge on the part of your jeans that you rubbed with the ruler?
D. Cannot be determined from the information
7.Which one of the following is likely to lower the resistance of a conductor made of a particular metal?
A. Increase the temperature of the conductor
B. Lengthen the conductor
C. Shorten the conductor
D. Decrease the cross-sectional area of the conductor
8. A device counting electrons that are moving in metal wire measures 6.3 X 1018 electrons passing a point in a time of 10 seconds. The current due to this movement is closest to
A. 0.1 mA
B. 1 mA
C. 10 mA
D. 100 mA
9. . Which of the following is the best description of the refractive index of a material?
A. The ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the material.
B. The ratio of the speed of light in the material to the speed of light in a vacuum.
C. The ratio of the speed of light in the material to the speed of light in a reference material.
D. The ratio of the speed of light before reflection to the speed of light after reflection.