Question: problem 182 share buybackcomparison of retirement and treasury stock treatment...
Problem 18-2 Share buyback-comparison of retirement and treasury stock treatment [LO18-5]
The shareholders’ equity section of the balance sheet of TNL
Systems Inc. included the following accounts at December 31,
|Shareholders' Equity||($ in millions)|
|Common stock, 250 million shares at $1 par||$||250|
|Paid-in capital—excess of par||2,250|
|Paid-in capital—share repurchase||2|
1. During 2018, TNL Systems reacquired shares of its common stock and later sold shares in two separate transactions. Prepare the entries for both the purchase and subsequent resale of the shares assuming the shares are (a) retired and (b) viewed as treasury stock.
- On February 5, 2018, TNL Systems purchased 7 million shares at $14 per share.
- On July 9, 2018, the corporation sold 3 million shares at $16 per share.
- On November 14, 2020, the corporation sold 3 million shares at $11 per share.
2. Prepare the shareholders’ equity section of TNL Systems’ balance sheet at December 31, 2020, comparing the two approaches. Assume all net income earned in 2018–2020 was distributed to shareholders as cash dividends.