Question: scenario childs full name toby john dob 010217 three year...
Child’s full name: Toby John
Three year old Toby is small for his age. He has poor language and social skills and is lagging in cognitive development. Toby is a very active child and has a short attention span. Toby is the oldest of three children. His father is a truck driver and is away from home for several days at a time.
Brian, the educator, notices that Toby has tipped a considerable amount of water on himself during water play and asks Toby if he would like to put on some dry clothes. As Brian is helping Toby to change he notices a series of different coloured bruises on Toby’s back and the back of his legs. All of the bruises are an elongated shape. Some of the bruises also have a round shape at one end.
Brian suspects that the bruises were caused by a belt and belt buckle. Casually, Brian says to Toby “How did you get all of these bruises on yourself Toby?” Toby quickly pulls his jumper down, and with eyes down- cast, replies, “I falled off my bed”.
(Source: Kearns, K Big picture, 2nded, Pearson Education, Melbourne, p.71)
Complete the incident report and answer the following questions
1. Complete the Incident report based on the Toby scenario (Appendix A)
2. List the steps and actions you would follow when reporting your concerns in your workplace?
3. What service document might guide you in making your decision to report?
4. How would you ensure that this process was conducted confidentially?
5. If there was a conflicts of interest and your workplace management does not want to report your concerns for Toby to Child Protection what would you do? In your problem solving of this ethical dilemma keep in mind your placement organisation policies and practices and relevant discussions in class.
6. As an educator in Victoria list the relevant Child Protection agencies you can report to?