Question: you are part of a consultant team hired to improve...
You are part of a consultant team hired to improve the VVCS Company’s organizational structure which has communication and coordination lapses. This company actual organizational design is of a more mechanistic nature and is characterized by:
- a very high level of official rules, regulations, and procedures;
- almost all decisions are made at the top levels of the organization;
- there is a high homogeneous basis of departmentalization;
- there is a very clearly defined chain of command; - the jobs are narrowly controlled;
- each job requires specific and unique expertise.
a) What type of organizational structure fits the actual described features?b) If the company desires to avoid silos and to have a mix of horizontal and vertical integration with a more functional/product or product/region lines of formal authority that allows them to work more cohesively, what would be the recommended new organizational structure?